Re: Paradox games...no thanks.

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:13:03 GMT, RogerM
<[email protected]> blabbed:

        He argues about dead artists and who is he harming by copying
their mp3 in an unauthorized manner.  And I agree w/the point that a
copyright shouldn't extend so long after the holder's death.  10 years
max I'd say.

Why ten years? Why even a day after the artist's death?

        I believe in some leeway for the following reason:
        Lets say I write a novel.  I sell the copyright in that in
that novel to you for a million dollars.  I haven't yet done anything
w/the novel though, no one knows about it, no one's interested in it,
you still need to start from scratch to get it to make any money for
you.  You have connections and experience though and are confident you
can get it published even though I have done absolutely nothing so far
towards that goal.  Its just such a good novel though that you felt it
was well worth a million dollars.
        You spend the next few months finding a publisher and finally
you convince one to take it. It only took ya three months, because of
your connections.  You were able to get the right people to take a
serious look at it very quickly.   A year after you bought the rights
to it, its finally been edited and its finally gonna get published.  A
year later, its on the bookstore shelves.  2 years and 3 months after
you bought it, after a lot of time and effort on your part, and a lot
of expense on your publisher's part, its finally time to see if you'll
get any of your money back, and maybe even make some profit.
        Unfortunately for you, I've been dead since the day after you
bought the copyright. The first thing I did w/the money was to buy a
brand new motorcycle and go and get myself killed as I was test riding
it.
        Some friend of mine, knowing I was dead, and knowing that the
law was as you'd have it - such that the copyright expired upon my
death - also tried to publish a copy of my book.  And he is my friend,
so he assumes I'd rather him profit off of it than you.  And *his*
version of my novel, is word for word like yours, just a different
cover and such, and its on the store shelves right next to yours for
1/5 the price.
        Point is, ya never know when someone is gonna die.  And it
siginificantly reduces what our hypothetical novelist can get for his
first novel if every buyer knows they end up w/nothing if he dies
before it can be published.  10 years is more than enough of a buffer
for such I think, and its a nice round number.  5 would be fine too
really.  Or maybe 5, renewable for another 5, so if someone is just
sitting on it and not using it, it goes into the public domain after
only 5.
        Leo